Sunday, October 08, 2006

A Work Beginning

Last night I walked out of my house at around 6:30. Outside, the day’s heat had cooled, but a remnant remained indoors. So, I turned on the fans, opened the windows, and went for a walk.

The mosques had blared their “Ramadahn-fasting-is-officially-over” siren an hour earlier leaving the now heavily fed men to rest and digest on their porches with a cigarette and a cool breeze. As I strolled along, each man on a passing porch greeted me and invited me to sit with him. So, I sat for a few minutes at three or four houses chatting the evening away. No heavy topics; just visiting.

After half an hour, my friend Samiyono – a Javanese man in his 50s – drove up on his 110cc motor scooter. “Stop by my house before you head home, ya.”

“Sure,” I said, knowing that I couldn’t refuse another friendly drink and snack.

Two weeks earlier I ask my Indonesian co-worker Pak Nosh how to go about helping my neighbors with financial needs without putting myself in a precarious position. I have heard several stories of well-intentioned foreigners who have become little more than an ATM. Nosh said that I should ask a trusted friend in the community to inform me of individual needs as they arise, then have the school facilities crew purchase the needed supplies (concrete, bricks, etc.) and deliver them anonymously. That way I can help directly without having any of the cultural awkwardness.

When I entered Pak Samiyono’s front room, I broached the situation. I explained our intent to help our neighbors saying that we are “shy,” and thus don’t want them to know that it’s us. He was very pleased with this arrangement, and immediately told me of a need that has been stagnant for over a month.

Our conversation eventually turned toward the earthquake that happened in late May. The homes of Samiyono’s parents and three siblings all collapsed to the ground save one. They are all living in the one partially damaged house while they try to rebuild over time. If I understood Samiyono correctly, that’s more than 12 people – 3 generations – living in one small house. And even that house’s roof is collapsed, but at least it has walls.

Samiyono said that he understands that our desire is to help our primary neighbors first, but if we are interested in helping his extended family, he’d be most grateful. So, I’m borrowing a friend’s car and we are going to Klaten next week to visit his family and see what immediate repairs can be made to better their situation. This will be my third visit to the region hit hardest by the earthquake, and it may be the most impactual thus far.

Please pray for our endeavors as we begin helping our neighbors in a hands-on, personal way. There are risks involved that I don’t fully understand yet. Wisdom and insight are much needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home