Wednesday, July 11, 2007

But I Still Love Technology

Let me just take a moment out of my busy day to reflect in awe and wonder on that modern marvel we call the internet.

Where else can you talk heart to heart with people about the things that really interest you, like whether or not the Chipettes were the downfall of Alvin and the Chipmunks? Who needs co-workers, friends, and family, when my soul companions are all online, organized topically on easy-to-search discussion boards? Yes, we are living in a virtual world and I am a virtual girl. Thus far, I have not fully embraced cyberspace. Alas, we do not have high-speed internet at our fingertips. But I am intrigued and looking forward to the day when I can take a virtual tour of ancient Rome, play cards with my sister in NYC, or chat about the impending destruction of the planet with total strangers who have cool onscreen nicknames like "Fairy Princess." Currently, I'm limited to enjoying e-mail, bbcnews.com, blog-stalking, and the occasional skype conversation.

James's mother commented that someone (you know who you are!) sends her a postcard every month. She loves this. So James and I sat down with our address list Monday night. I wrote one card--just one--and it was painful. Writing out in longhand something that would take two weeks to arrive (if it got there at all), I was thinking, "This is ridiculous. I should just write these people an email."

So here's to the internet!

3 Comments:

At 3:13 AM , Blogger Jason said...

I used to be really good about writing letters and postcards, but I pretty much stick with emails and phone calls these days. I know my grandmother would appreciate a letter, though. Since I have the summer off, I ought to write one.

 
At 12:51 AM , Blogger Mike and Heather Webb said...

Always and Forever!

 
At 11:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

mike and heather, i couldn't stop laughing when i clicked on your photo.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home