Thursday, February 19, 2009

Slip of the Tongue

For those of you who have every learned a second language, here are some of my most recent faux pas.

When being asked about "orang miskin" (poor people), I replied that "orang kismis" (raisin people) are loved of God and need to be invited into our homes to eat.

When being asked how I interact with my neighbors, I replied that I generally "bercium kepada ibu-ibu" (kiss the women), rather than "berseyum kepada ibu-ibu" (smile at the women).

My friends here have even funnier mishaps, but that will have to be their own confession rather than my juicy gossip. Please pray for my language acquisition. Blessings.

1 Comments:

At 8:42 PM , Blogger Jason said...

Those are funny. Although I have no doubt I've butchered my share of Spanish over the years, the one mistake I remember the best is when I was in high school and my Spanish class went to a Mexican restaurant. Rather than saying, "quisiera" or "me gustaria" for "I would like" when ordering, I said, "Me quisiera," which means "I would like myself."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home